Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Original Alma Mater/Mentor Meeting

March 19- Ok, my wonderful mentor, Ms. Kristin Zaryski, just gave me a copy of the original Ithaca High School Alma Mater. Yikes...I was not too impressed. I think the only thing that I liked about it was the fact that it was written in purple ink. Many of the words were compressed in an effort to eliminate syllables, and it just made the whole thing sound corny.

Aside from the lyrics being set to the tune of "O Christmas Tree", they don't even reference the current high school. The lyrics are written in reference to the old Ithaca High School, before this current one was built.

Stately 'neath the sloping hills
Rise our high school towers
And it's noble rapture 
Thrills every heart of ours

To thee old Ith'ca we sing
Loudly let its praises ring
Sing it's praises to the sky
Grand and noble Ith'ca High

Really...Ith'ca?

Clearly I have my work cut out for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment