Thursday, May 22, 2014

Invert the Romans


In reading my previous post, I discovered that I didn't even mention the original point of the blurb about chords…whoops. There is still a small amount to cover, then I will reveal the harmonic analysis of the alma mater.

All chords can have inversions. This simply means that a different note within in the triad is on the bottom.

For example, a C Major chord, made up of C, E and G, has C on bottom, E in the middle, and G on the top when in root position.
However, the chord could be inverted to have E as the bottom note, and same with G.

If E is the lowest note in the C major chord, then it is a C Major chord in 1st inversion.
If G is the lowest note in the C major chord, then it is a C Major chord in (you guessed it) 2nd inversion.

When using roman numerals, first inversion is notated using a 6, to indicate that the interval between the bass note and the top note is a 6th, and second inversion is notated using a 6/4 to indicate that the interval between the bass and the top note is a 6th, and the interval between the bass note and the middle note is a 4th, otherwise, it is simply assumed that the bass note is a third away from the middle note.

So, without further adieu, here is the harmonic analysis of the new Ithaca High School Alma Mater:

Verse: I  V  I  V4-3  V  ii7  V  I  I  I6  I  IV6-5,2-1,4-3  V6/4  I6/4  V  I  
Chorus: I  IV  I6  ii7  V7  I  IV  I6 V/ii  V  V6  I

If you can make sense of that, you'll be one of the first people to hear the basic harmonies of the alma mater. Congrats!

No comments:

Post a Comment