Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Homage to the Higher Institutions


Ooooooooo I really like this…I had a stroke of creative genius while working on one of these verses.
I realized it might be neat (I hate that word) to give a "shout out" to both Cornell and Ithaca College.

This is what I have so far:


Far beneath the towers of Cornell
And the college high upon South Hill
There lies a school in Ithaca
Where young minds will prevail (maybe)

It appears that nearly nothing rhymes with the word "hill". At least, nothing that is applicable to a school. Although, I suppose "pills" are sometimes found…ok, no, I won't go there…

Anyway, here's the interesting part about this verse. Not only does it reference both institutions, but it also takes lines from both of their Alma Maters. 

Cornell's Alma Mater begins with the line: "Far above Cayuga's waters", and here, I start with "Far beneath…" 

Likewise, one of the lines in Ithaca College's Alma Mater ends with "high upon South Hill".

I know, try and control your excitement please. There will be more to come.

I'll be back soon with hopefully another verse, and possibly a reworked last line of the first verse.

No comments:

Post a Comment